A-11 (Hank Cochran song covered by BD in Portland)
P***@aol.com
2005-03-12 11:12:49 UTC
A-11

Lyrics: Hank Cochran
Music: Hank Cochran

Played by Bob Weir with Kingfish in the 1970s.

Chorus

I don't know you from Adam
But if you're gonna play the jukebox
Please don't play A-11
Please don't play A-11

I just came in here from force of habit
I don't intend to spend too much time in here
But I heard you matchin' for the music
And if you play A-11 there'll be tears

[chorus]

This used to be our favorite spot
And when she was here it ws heaven
It was here she told me that she loved me
And she always played A-11

[chorus]

Recordings

None by Kingfish. Versions by Buck Owens and others can be found on
compilations.

http://www.whitegum.com/~acsa/songfile/A11.HTM

Paul Pearson
don freeman
2005-03-12 18:18:13 UTC
I'm listening to A-11 by Buck Owens and this song is incredibly goofy.
It's got the kind of country song pathos that makes Wolverton Mountain
sound like a heavyweight. This is not the kind of song I would expect
Bob Dylan to ever cover. I can see Bob doing Robbie Fulks' "The Buck
Stops Here," but not a trivial song like A-11 from early in Buck's career.

I can only surmise that Dylan is singing A-11 as an ironic counterpoint
to having Merle Haggard on the tour. Merle has written some of the
finest country songs ever, and I think Bob must be poking fun at him.
Post by P***@aol.com
A-11
Lyrics: Hank Cochran
Music: Hank Cochran
[chorus]
spjohnny
2005-03-12 18:38:09 UTC
Post by don freeman
I can only surmise that Dylan is singing A-11 as an ironic
counterpoint to having Merle Haggard on the tour.
----------

I certainly don't know Bob's intentions, but I think it's a good song. And
obviously its prominent fiddle fits the current band.
D***@gmail.com
2005-03-13 03:03:06 UTC
Dylan played "A-11" because Buck Owens was at the show. Merle Haggard
introduced him and brought him out during his set, although Owens did
not play. I thought it was pretty classy of Dylan to tip his hat to him
like that.

D.
don freeman
2005-03-13 06:08:13 UTC
Post by D***@gmail.com
Dylan played "A-11" because Buck Owens was at the show. Merle Haggard
introduced him and brought him out during his set, although Owens did
not play.
Well that explains it then, but still, I can think of about 22 Buck Owen
songs I would have sung before I got to A-11

1.Tall Dark Stranger
2. Act Naturally
3. Together Again
4. Love's Gonna Live Here
5. Waitin' In Your Welfare Line
6. Buckaroo
7. I've Got A Tiger By The Tail
8. Excuse Me (I Think I'veGot A Heartache)
9. Under The Influence Of Your Love
10. Think of Me
11. Gonna Have Love
12. Sam’s Place
13. I Don't Care (Just As Long As You Love Me
14. Nobody’s Fool But Yours
15. How Long will My Baby Be Gone
16. Ruby (Are You Mad)
17. Who's Gonna Mow Your Grass
18. I'll Still Be Waiting For You
19. Made In Japan
20. Streets Of Bakersfield
21. You Ain't Gonna Have O'l Buck To Kick Around No More
22. On The Cover Of The Music City News
Mr. Rick
2005-03-13 08:17:28 UTC

Didn't know you could sing, Don.
don freeman
2005-03-13 14:57:16 UTC
I am the Bob Dylan of my house, at least in the shower.
EconoDylan
2005-03-17 16:44:17 UTC
If you heard Bob sing A-11, you'd understand why he chose it! I never
heard A-11 before, but I can't wait to hear Bob play it again.
D***@gmail.com
2005-03-13 10:18:15 UTC
No arguments from me on that one, Don. I'm actually not familiar with
anything but the most popular of Owens's songs. But, I hadn't seen
anybody mention that Merle had brough Owens out (and even did an
imitation of him once Owens walked off stage). Also, for the record,
Bill's page has Donnie Heron only playing banjo and pedal steel during
the set, but Donnie also played fiddle for one or two songs and played
something that looked like an electric mandolin, but with only six
strings (it looked like a tiny electric guitar) for at least two songs
and maybe up to four songs. I wish I had noted which songs when it all
happened so I could send the correct info. to Bill, but, alas, I can't
remember.

D.
Mr. Rick
2005-03-12 22:13:50 UTC
I think Buck Owens had the hit. Please Mr. Please moved on to B-17.

Dylan's entire set should consist of country & rockabilly covers.
s***@alltel.net
2005-03-13 02:04:39 UTC
I remember reading about Dylan (during his Athens, Georgia, gigs of
'97) perusing some famous record shop in Athens and asking where their
Buck Owens records were. I think the story came from an employee of
the record store who was used to having well-known folks drop in from
time to time. It might've been recounted in that Dylan book by Tracy
Johnson--"If You See Him, Say Hello."
s***@alltel.net
Ray Baldwin
2005-03-13 04:52:31 UTC
On 13/3/05 1:05 PM, in article
Post by s***@alltel.net
I remember reading about Dylan (during his Athens, Georgia, gigs of
'97) perusing some famous record shop in Athens and asking where their
Buck Owens records were. I think the story came from an employee of
the record store who was used to having well-known folks drop in from
time to time. It might've been recounted in that Dylan book by Tracy
Johnson--"If You See Him, Say Hello."
Encounters With Bob Dylan: If You See Him Say Hello.

You can read eight of the fifty stories in the book here:

http://www.humblepress.com/Encounters/Pages/Excerpts.html

. . . the story you refer to (the last of the excerpts) is similar to the
way I'd like my story to unfold if I ever came face-to-face with Dylan.

Ray.
EBender
2005-03-22 01:16:40 UTC
Post by Mr. Rick
I think Buck Owens had the hit. Please Mr. Please moved on to B-17.
Dylan's entire set should consist of country & rockabilly covers.
I wasn't familiar with this song, so I tracked down the Daryle
Singletary cover on Rhapsody. It is a very good song with a long steel
solo. I'll be seeing Bob April 8-9 and maybe get a chance to hear his
version. Of course, he could play anything at any show. I'm hoping
for "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat."