Tom Rush on Dylan
Patricia Jungwirth
2004-08-29 01:19:38 UTC
Tom Rush interviewed by Wally Breese for the Joni Mitchell website :

http://www.jonimitchell.com/TRush98B.html
<excerpt>WB: How about Dave Van Ronk?

TR: Dave I know from the New York scene. Way, way back. Never spent a
whole lot of time with him.

WB: He recorded "Both Sides Now" and called it "Clouds," as some other
people do.

TR: Right. Now talking about false memories, he showed me the C tunings
that I use for a lot of my stuff, and said he'd learned them from Dylan.
I talked to Dylan about it some years later, and Dylan said "I don't know
any C tuning." So who do you believe?

WB: What are your memories of Dylan in those days?

TR: My recollection of Dylan in those days was that he was a not
infrequent visitor to the Cambridge scene. I remember thinking when his
first album came out that it was just great, I loved it, and I thought,
too bad a guy like this can't ever really be popular because his voice is
so bad and it's not what's happening on the radio these days.

WB: Little did you know!

TR: Little did I know how little I knew. Then he got big. I remembering
him being at a party in Cambridge where everybody was trying to be so
cool, that they were ignoring him because nobody wanted to be perceived
as fawning over the now famous Bob Dylan. So he would walk into a room
and it would empty out because everybody was too cool.

[ ]WB: One more question from a friend of mine. On one of your albums,
and he thinks it's Take A Little Walk With Me, you credit a piano player
named Roosevelt Gook. Is this a pseudonym for Bob Dylan or is there
really a Roosevelt Gook?

TR: No, who was Roosevelt Gook? He wasn't Dylan. There's also a guitar
player named Daddy Bones on one of them, and that was John Herald.
Roosevelt Gook was Felix Papalardi, no it wasn't Felix. It was Al Kooper,
who was doubling and didn't want to get paid as a double.

WB: There's a huge Dylan fan base out there, and that was a question that
no one could answer because apparently he's used that name before.

TR: Really? Well, then he must have gotten it from Al.

WB: There you go. Did Dylan ever play on any of your albums?

TR: No, he never did. Although I never really went as far as I could to
discourage those rumors.

WB: Why bother, right?

</excerpt><<<<<<<<
John Howells
2004-08-29 22:05:35 UTC
***@aardvark.net.au (Patricia Jungwirth) writes:

<Tom Rush interviewed by Wally Breese for the Joni Mitchell website :

<http://www.jonimitchell.com/TRush98B.html

<>>>>

<[ ]WB: One more question from a friend of mine. On one of your albums,
<and he thinks it's Take A Little Walk With Me, you credit a piano player
<named Roosevelt Gook. Is this a pseudonym for Bob Dylan or is there
<really a Roosevelt Gook?

<TR: No, who was Roosevelt Gook? He wasn't Dylan. There's also a guitar
<player named Daddy Bones on one of them, and that was John Herald.
<Roosevelt Gook was Felix Papalardi, no it wasn't Felix. It was Al Kooper,
<who was doubling and didn't want to get paid as a double.

<WB: There's a huge Dylan fan base out there, and that was a question that
<no one could answer because apparently he's used that name before.

<TR: Really? Well, then he must have gotten it from Al.

Dylan never used that name. It has always been Al Kooper.
--
John Howells
***@punkhart.com