Bill on Bob
Tom Lace
2004-11-30 23:42:27 UTC
While an infrequent TV watcher, and an even less frequent Fox News watcher,
I did see the segment on 11/28 where O'Reilly mentioned Dylan. It was an
off-handed attempt to be cute and to slime his opposition as part of a
discussion on whether Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw would be missed. O'Reilly--
interrupting his interviewee (as usual) so as to answer his own "question"
in a manner befitting his (or should I make that FoxNews') personal
spin--was spouting off about how the networks just don't get it when it
comes to news (not "juicy" enough was his word) and that not only would the
old guard not be missed, but that their as yet unnamed successors were sure
to be just as bad and out of the (his) mainstream, etc, etc, ad nauseam
vulpes. He then went off on how badly chosen and edited CBS' news segments
were. Suggested more inspiring interviews and opinion statements as a
larger segment of the news show (as if saying, "you know, just the way we so
masterfully do it at Fox"). Knowing that Rather will still be with CBS as a
60 Minutes reporter, O'Reilly then felt compelled to trash 60 Minutes choice
of material, using the upcoming Dylan segment as an example of pointless,
trivial, out of touch use of news programming time, and then added the extra
dig that Dylan probably "hadn't bathed for three weeks" prior to being
granted this undeserved primetime interview.

Irrespective of the differing viewpoints on this newsgroup, this was a clear
insult and an appalling underestimate of the worth of our mutually admired
friend, Bob Dylan.
Terry
2004-12-01 00:52:00 UTC
Post by Tom Lace
Irrespective of the differing viewpoints on this newsgroup, this was a
clear insult and an appalling underestimate of the worth of our mutually
admired friend, Bob Dylan.
I've only seen this Fox guy once and that was enough to realise that his
opinion is not worth worrying about. It's like you're walking down the
road and there's a dog turd ahead. Do you step in it, or walk on by?
BGR200
O'Rielly's an "Idiot Wind Bag"
Robin
2004-12-01 18:19:35 UTC
Post by Terry
I've only seen this Fox guy once and that was enough to realise that his
opinion is not worth worrying about. It's like you're walking down the
road and there's a dog turd ahead. Do you step in it, or walk on by?
Wonderful - your imagery perfectly sums up my feelings about O'Reilly.
Proper behaviour & truth are definitely not going to get in the way of
his show.

RS
Dave Kingston
2004-12-01 23:16:43 UTC
"Tom Lace" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message news:BDD26F95.4FC2%***@comcast.net...

<snip>
Post by Tom Lace
Knowing that Rather will still be with CBS as a
60 Minutes reporter, O'Reilly then felt compelled to trash 60 Minutes choice
of material, using the upcoming Dylan segment as an example of pointless,
trivial, out of touch use of news programming time, and then added the extra
dig that Dylan probably "hadn't bathed for three weeks" prior to being
granted this undeserved primetime interview.
Comments like that reveal more about O'Reilly than they do Bob. Such is the
state of mass media
these days: the media personalities often feel more important to themselves
than it's subject.

But to say that Bob's interview isn't newsworthy is dead wrong, because the
fact that Bob is doing his first TV interview in eons has become news in
itself. How do I know? Cause it's all over the........news (and not just
CBS)!!
Post by Tom Lace
Irrespective of the differing viewpoints on this newsgroup, this was a clear
insult and an appalling underestimate of the worth of our mutually admired
friend, Bob Dylan.
If ignorance is bliss, O'Reilly must be one happy fellow

Dave
Rev Turd Fredericks
2004-12-02 08:58:34 UTC
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:16:43 -0500, "Dave Kingston"
Post by Dave Kingston
<snip>
Post by Tom Lace
Irrespective of the differing viewpoints on this newsgroup, this was a clear
insult and an appalling underestimate of the worth of our mutually admired
friend, Bob Dylan.
If ignorance is bliss, O'Reilly must be one happy fellow
Dave
And in two hundred years it certainly won't be O'Reilly that's
remembered.
steve lescure
2004-12-02 19:19:17 UTC
Post by Tom Lace
[...]
limbaugh and o'riley - and lets not forget the evangelicals - are
getting to be my favorite shows to listen to. their endless supply of
stupidity is highly entertaining, at least for brief periods of
time....maybe i should get XM.

steve
Cosmo
2004-12-05 08:44:44 UTC
Yes, maybe this was an insult... but who cares what this TV-person
O'Reilly says?

Joan Baez called Bob "the unwashed phaenomenon" in her song 'Diamonds
and Rust' and put that on a record so it can be replayed again and
again. If I would be Bob THIS would really piss me off.
Cosmo