Biograph: Abandoned Love
R Yakle
2004-05-19 21:56:17 UTC
Recently I saw on the Emmylou Harris fansite, www.emmylou.net,
that Emmylou was listed as doing vocals on the Desire outtake
Abandoned Love.

This is the first I'd heard this.

But, it sure doesn't sound like Emmylou Harris to me.

Anyone know who is singing behind Bob on Abandoned Love
from Biograph?

R. Yakle
Richard
2004-05-19 22:12:53 UTC
Post by R Yakle
Recently I saw on the Emmylou Harris fansite, www.emmylou.net,
that Emmylou was listed as doing vocals on the Desire outtake
Abandoned Love.
This is the first I'd heard this.
But, it sure doesn't sound like Emmylou Harris to me.
Anyone know who is singing behind Bob on Abandoned Love
from Biograph?
R. Yakle
Emmylou backed Bob on a number of tracks including the "lost" initial take
of Hurricane. Most likely the attribution you read is accurate.

Richard.
Alan Fraser
2004-05-20 06:21:57 UTC
Post by Richard
Emmylou backed Bob on a number of tracks including the "lost" initial take
of Hurricane. Most likely the attribution you read is accurate.
According to Michael Krogsgaard, Abandoned Love was recorded at
Srtudio E, Columbia Recording Studios, New York City, on 31 Jul 1975.

Musicians: Rob Rothstein (bass), Howard Wyeth (drums), Scarlet Rivera
(violin) and Sheena Seidenberg (tambourine & congas)

http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/sessions-3.html

There's no mention of Emmylou, but she could have overdubbed backing
vocals at an undocumented session.

Columbia's lawyers ordered that all vocal tracks on the 16-track
masters and all mixed down tapes of Hurricane as it was recorded in
July 1975 were erased on 7 Dec 1976. However, someone obviously saved
a copy...

Alan
chuck
2004-05-20 17:10:11 UTC
Although the references don't place him at any sessions
until October 1975, could the backing vocals on "Abandoned
Love" be STEVEN SOLES???

--CK
Peter Stone Brown
2004-05-20 20:25:47 UTC
Post by chuck
Although the references don't place him at any sessions
until October 1975, could the backing vocals on "Abandoned
Love" be STEVEN SOLES???
--CK
Could be, but my guess is the vocal is by bass player, Rockin' Robbie
Rothstein.
PGPearson1954
2004-05-22 00:59:55 UTC
Subject: Re: Biograph: Abandoned Love
There's no mention of Emmylou, but she could have overdubbed backing
vocals at an undocumented session.
Alan:

Heylin has Emmylou there for that session---BOB DYLAN: The Recording Sessions
(1960-1994). Pages 109-110 St. Martin's Press NY Edition 1995.

Paul Pearson
Bambiemoore
2004-05-20 14:49:02 UTC
R Yakle
2004-05-20 19:59:22 UTC
Post by Bambiemoore
<< Recently I saw on the Emmylou Harris fansite, www.emmylou.net,
that Emmylou was listed as doing vocals on the Desire outtake
Abandoned Love. >>
Speaking of Emmylou Harris,
for those who have missed
this news, Emmylou sings "When
I Paint My Masterpiece" on the
COUNTRY MUSIC LEGENDS RECORD IN
"DYLAN COUNTRY" Enjoy "Dylan Country,"
This is probably a use of the recording of
"When I Paint My Masterpiece" that was released on
Emmylou's 1996 box set called Portraits.

R. Yakle
Dave-DylanCoverAlbums
2004-05-20 20:50:21 UTC
Post by R Yakle
Post by Bambiemoore
Speaking of Emmylou Harris,
for those who have missed
this news, Emmylou sings "When
I Paint My Masterpiece" on the
COUNTRY MUSIC LEGENDS RECORD IN
"DYLAN COUNTRY" Enjoy "Dylan Country,"
This is probably a use of the recording of
"When I Paint My Masterpiece" that was released on
Emmylou's 1996 box set called Portraits.
R. Yakle
It is, recorded 5/93 in Nashville

Also Earl Scruggs' Nashville Skyline Rag features Bob on guitar (1971)
Nanci Griffiths' Boots of Spanish Leather has Bob on harmonica
Heartland is Willie Nelson's duet with Bob

But only N.S. Rag credits Bob on the CD.
R Yakle
2004-05-20 19:52:14 UTC
***@hotmail.com (R Yakle) wrote in message news:<***@posting.google.com>...
Alright guys, somebody listen to "Abandoned Love" on Biograph
and then tell me "who is doing vocals behind Bob."

It cannot be Emmylou Harris. But the voice does sound somewhat
familiar.

R. Yakle
PrivateCitizen_dudley
2004-05-21 08:01:39 UTC
Post by R Yakle
Alright guys, somebody listen to "Abandoned Love" on Biograph
and then tell me "who is doing vocals behind Bob."
It cannot be Emmylou Harris. But the voice does sound somewhat
familiar.
R. Yakle
OK, if it cannot be Emmylou, I'll guess Ronee Blakely.

Please let me know if i win anything.

I do know Ronee recorded with Hoyt; i don't know if she was on this one or not:

Boney Fingers

See the rain comin' down and the roof won't hold 'er
Lost my job and I feel a little older
Car won't run and our love's grown colder
But maybe things'll get a little better, in the mornin'
Maybe things'll get a little better.

Oh! the clothes need washin' and the fire won't start
Kids all cryin' and you're breakin' my heart
Whole darn place is fallin' apart
Maybe things'll get a little better, in the mornin'
Maybe things'll get a little better.

Refrain:
Work your fingers to the bone - whadda ya get?
( Whoo-whoo ) Boney Fingers - Boney Fing-gers.

Yea! I've been broke as long as I remember
Get a little money and I gotta run and spend 'er
When I try to save it, pretty woman come and take it
Sayin' maybe things'll get a little better, in the mornin'
Maybe things'll get a little better.

Refrain:

Yea! the grass won't grow and the sun's too hot
The whole darn world is goin' to pot
Might as well like it 'cause you're all that I've got

Refrain:
Bobby
2004-05-21 08:38:19 UTC
Post by PrivateCitizen_dudley
Post by R Yakle
Alright guys, somebody listen to "Abandoned Love" on Biograph
and then tell me "who is doing vocals behind Bob."
It cannot be Emmylou Harris. But the voice does sound somewhat
familiar.
R. Yakle
OK, if it cannot be Emmylou, I'll guess Ronee Blakely.
Please let me know if i win anything.
Boney Fingers
Prez, you got it right. Background vocals: Hoyt Axton, Renee Armand, Ronee
Blakley
R Yakle
2004-05-21 20:26:02 UTC
Post by R Yakle
Alright guys, somebody listen to "Abandoned Love" on Biograph
and then tell me "who is doing vocals behind Bob."
It cannot be Emmylou Harris. But the voice does sound somewhat
familiar.
R. Yakle
OK, if it cannot be Emmylou, I'll guess Ronee Blakely.
Please let me know if i win anything.
I dunno 'bout that. Supposedly "Abandoned Love" was recorded at the
July 31, 1975 sessions, no Emmylou Harris present. Ronee Blakely is on
the October 1975 "Hurricane" recording session.

R. Yakle
PGPearson1954
2004-05-22 00:52:16 UTC
According to Heylin, there were two takes of AL done on July 31, 1975 = CO
121719?-1 and CO 121719?-2 (The question marks are listed by Heylin).

The cross reference attendess would give the nod to Emmylou Harris for b/v.
Sheena is listed as "tambourine".

Ronee Blakeley didn't show until the October 24th session.

Yvonne Elliman was hanging around on July 28th---NOT July 31st.

Steven Soles was also NOT there on the July 31st. Stoner WAS there.

Also recorded on July 31st - Sara; Isis; Money Blues.

Paul Pearson
Will Dockery
2015-04-26 12:54:29 UTC
Post by PGPearson1954
According to Heylin, there were two takes of AL done on July 31, 1975 = CO
121719?-1 and CO 121719?-2 (The question marks are listed by Heylin).
The cross reference attendess would give the nod to Emmylou Harris for b/v.
Sheena is listed as "tambourine".
Ronee Blakeley didn't show until the October 24th session.
Yvonne Elliman was hanging around on July 28th---NOT July 31st.
Steven Soles was also NOT there on the July 31st. Stoner WAS there.
Also recorded on July 31st - Sara; Isis; Money Blues.
Paul Pearson
Okay, probably Emmylou Harris and not Ronee Blakeley? Seems that from this chronology, Harris was already gone by the time of tghe studio sessions for Abandoned Love?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desire_%28Bob_Dylan_album%29

"...On the night of July 30, 1975, Dylan returned to Studio E with a smaller group of musicians, including Stoner, Rivera, Harris, and drummer Howie Wyeth (a friend of Stoner's who was hired by Dylan on Stoner's suggestion). For the most part, this group of musicians formed the core of the Rolling Thunder Revue. The difference became apparent early on in the session, when a usable take of "Isis" was recorded on the first try. Both Dylan and Stoner were pleased with the session, and Stoner suggests that the more intimate sound was much closer to the sound of the completed album.

Five of the nine songs from Desire were recorded at that session, as well as a slow version of "Isis," the original master take of "Hurricane", the single-only release "Rita Mae," and a successful take of "Golden Loom" that was later released in 1991. Of the participating musicians, only Emmylou Harris was dissatisfied with the results. It would also be her last session, as she had prior commitments with her own career.

The following night, Dylan held another session, this time recording three songs. From this session, Dylan recorded the master take for "Isis" as well as master takes for "Abandoned Love" and "Sara." Dylan's wife Sara, the subject of the song that bore her name, also accompanied him to this session."

So..?
9***@gmail.com
2015-04-26 09:23:05 UTC
Rob Stoner
Will Dockery
2015-04-26 12:41:01 UTC
Post by 9***@gmail.com
Rob Stoner
That's Rob Stoner singing backup on Abandoned Love?!?

Amazing!

:D
L***@ao1.com
2015-04-26 18:10:00 UTC
Post by 9***@gmail.com
Rob Stoner
1976 tour!
Will Dockery
2015-04-26 20:40:09 UTC
Post by L***@ao1.com
Post by 9***@gmail.com
Rob Stoner
1976 tour!
Yeah, Rolling Thunder Revue... 1975-76...
Will Dockery
2015-04-26 20:40:12 UTC
Tim
2015-04-27 03:09:33 UTC
Dredging the archives yet again, I see, Will. Great stuff from a decade ago to refresh our minds upon.
Will Dockery
2015-04-27 06:45:52 UTC
Post by Tim
Post by Will Dockery
Post by L***@ao1.com
Post by 9***@gmail.com
Rob Stoner
1976 tour!
Yeah, Rolling Thunder Revue... 1975-76...
Dredging the archives yet again, I see, Will. Great stuff from a decade ago to refresh our minds upon.
No, I didn't dredge this one, but found it to be interesting... these fellows posted before me...
Post by Tim
Post by Will Dockery
Post by L***@ao1.com
Post by 9***@gmail.com
Rob Stoner
1976 tour!
Not sure why they did, though...

:D
Will Dockery
2015-04-28 08:53:45 UTC
Post by Tim
Dredging the archives yet again, I see, Will. Great stuff from a decade ago to refresh our minds upon.
Not this time, as explained, Tim, but I do reserve the right to dredge when needed.

:D