And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn
Rob Port
2003-10-04 15:12:08 UTC
I always thought this was FUGAL horn

I saw another post refer to it as FEUDAL horn

Ho Hum

http://bobdylan.com/songs/shelter.html

Cheers
Max
Cheers
Tricia J
Cheers
Tumulty
2003-10-05 15:12:30 UTC
Post by Tricia J
FUTILE horn
Post by Max
a fleugelhorn?
Post by Rob Port
I always thought this was FUGAL horn
I saw another post refer to it as FEUDAL horn
Feudal horn? Talk about talking mental.
T.
NickE6
2003-10-05 19:55:59 UTC
"Shelter" does not contain Bob's only reference to a "feudal horn." How about
this reference from "Floater":

My old man, he's like some feudal horn
Got more lives than a cat
Max
2003-10-05 20:02:07 UTC
I hear that as "Fleugel Lord"
Got more lives than a cat
Tumulty
2003-10-06 06:57:38 UTC
Are these examples getting worse or is it just me?
Henry Porter
2003-10-06 12:16:33 UTC
I think it's feudal lord. Wouldn't that make more sense.
Marcel St.john
2003-10-06 16:00:19 UTC
Post by Henry Porter
Post by NickE6
"Shelter" does not contain Bob's only reference to a "feudal horn." How about
My old man, he's like some feudal horn
Got more lives than a cat
I think it's feudal lord. Wouldn't that make more sense.
And this geezer's always heard "funeral horn".

"Everybody must give something back
For something he gets" B.D.
msj
Mad Dan
2003-10-06 23:30:00 UTC
Post by Marcel St.john
Post by Henry Porter
Post by NickE6
"Shelter" does not contain Bob's only reference to a "feudal horn." How about
My old man, he's like some feudal horn
Got more lives than a cat
I think it's feudal lord. Wouldn't that make more sense.
And this geezer's always heard "funeral horn".
You mean to say it's not "bugle horn"?
;-)
Rob Port
2003-10-06 19:59:25 UTC
Its feudal Lord (from Floater)

http://bobdylan.com/songs/floater.html

Rob

-------------------------------------
Got more lives than a cat
LikeARollinStone
2003-10-08 22:45:23 UTC
It's feudal "lord".
John Howells
2003-10-09 01:06:02 UTC
***@aol.com (LikeARollinStone) writes:

<>"Shelter" does not contain Bob's only reference to a "feudal horn." How
<>about
<>this reference from "Floater":
<>
<>My old man, he's like some feudal horn
<>Got more lives than a cat
<>

<It's feudal "lord".

Methinks there are lots of people here who didn't get that it was
a joke...
--
John Howells
***@punkhart.com
http://www.punkhart.com
Debra Lind
2003-10-09 03:35:11 UTC
I like flugal lord best! Lol!
Ray Baldwin
2003-10-09 04:07:14 UTC
Post by Debra Lind
I like flugal lord best! Lol!
Nah! Bob being Bob and all that, I reckon it's "frugal" lord.

Ray.
Henry Porter
2003-10-09 15:17:20 UTC
Post by Ray Baldwin
Post by Debra Lind
I like flugal lord best! Lol!
Nah! Bob being Bob and all that, I reckon it's "frugal" lord.
Ray.
If I remember my Western Civ 101 correctly (and I probably don't), in
the middle ages, the eldest son of a feudal lord was usually
automatically the heir to his fathers lands and fortune. However,
times being what they were, it was very difficult for a son to make
his own fortune in the world. He sure as hell wasn't going to work in
the fields with the peasants. If he could make his own fortune, it
was usually through warefare and plundering. So the eldest son of a
lord would sometimes spend decades wandering around Europe, looking
for trouble or trying to avoid it, waiting for his father to keel so
that he could collect his inheritance. This would tie in well with
the next line in "Floater" about his father having "more lives than a
cat".

I think the line in SFTS is either futile horn or funeral horn. I
haven't listened to it in a while.